In Academic Coaching, students and coaches develop working relationships through scheduled meetings or the Student Success Course (SDEV 0012). Coaches use a variety of tools to help students improve their time management, study strategies, focus, and motivation.
- Help facilitate a successful transition to Victoria College
- Help students establish priorities and set goals
- Demonstrate various study strategies.
- Demonstrate strategies for organizational management
- Encourage use of daily schedules and routines
- Support students through various decision-making processes
- Increase awareness of procrastination and identify ways to get back on track
- Identify strategies for breaking down projects into manageable and achievable tasks
- Assist with exam preparation and test-taking strategies
- Introduce campus resources
Academic Coaching sessions are not:
- Subject tutoring
- Paper-editing workshops
- Individual course tutoring
- Personalized homework assistance
- Quick fixes/instant improvements for academic struggles
To fully benefit from the coaching experience, students must commit to attending appointments on time and consistently. They must also follow through by implementing strategies that have been discussed in the session.