Victoria College’s Academy of Lifelong Learning offers classes, events and social activities for continued intellectual and personal growth.
Victoria College’s Gonzales Center will offer 12 classes and other activities in its inaugural Academy of Lifelong Learning Fall 2021 schedule.
An Academy of Lifelong Learning Open House and Ribbon Cutting will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 18 at VC’s Gonzales Center, located at 424 E. Sarah DeWitt Drive in Gonzales. Guests can learn more about the academy, purchase a membership and sign up for classes and events.
VC Gonzales Center’s Academy of Lifelong Learning provides members with common interests the opportunity to create arts and crafts, participate in study and discussions, and enjoy social interaction. The annual membership fee is $50 and renews each September. The fee entitles members to participate in any of the academy activities at no additional charge, with the exception of a few activities that have a supply or travel fee.
“We are excited to offer this academy to the Gonzales community and surrounding areas,” said Melissa Robinson, VC Gonzales Center assistant manager. “While the Academy of Lifelong Learning is geared toward reaching interests and opportunities for the actively retired community, people of all ages are welcome to join.”
Following is the list of classes and events scheduled for the fall:
- Aug. 24, 1:30 p.m. – Collette Travel Presentation
- Sept. 1, 1:30 p.m. – Premier World Discovery Travel Presentation
- Sept. 7, 6-7:30 p.m. – Understanding Nutrition Series Part 1
- Sept. 8, 10 a.m. – The Signs and Stages of Alzheimer’s
- Sept. 14, 10 a.m. – Wicked Plants
- Sept. 15, 8 a.m. – Come and Crepe It
- Sept. 21, 5:30-7:30 p.m. – Celebration & Movie Night
- Oct. 5, 6-7:30 p.m. – Understanding Nutrition Series Part 2
- Oct. 6, 10 a.m. – Brain Health
- Oct. 12, 1 p.m. – Wreath-Making for the Holidays and Everyday
- Oct. 20, 11:30 a.m. – All Around Town Series Part 1
- Nov. 2, 6-7:30 p.m. – Understanding Nutrition Series Part 3
- Nov. 9, 10 a.m. – Women’s Work During the World Wars
- Nov. 10, 11:30 a.m. – All Around Town Series Part 2
- Nov. 16, 10 a.m. – Stop the Bleed
- Nov. 30, 10 a.m. – How to Build a Charcuterie Board
- Dec. 1, 2:30 p.m. – Kassel Raid of WWII
- Dec. 8, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. – End-of-Year Celebration
“The Academy of Lifelong Learning is a membership-based group that has a lot of potential to grow into something that our community can utilize as not only an educational avenue, but to encompass everything from an opportunity to network and support to lifelong friendships,” Robinson said. “The academy really focuses on its members and how they can be a better, stronger, healthier people as a whole no matter their age.”
To join or get more information on the Academy of Lifelong Learning, visit VC’s Gonzales Center, call (830) 672-6251, or email Melissa.Robinson@VictoriaCollege.edu.