As we near the start of our summer sessions at Victoria College, I want to provide an update on our COVID-19 protocols.
The last year has presented its challenges for all of us, and I want to thank every member of the VC family for helping combat COVID-19 by participating in health screenings, wearing facial coverings, and practicing social distancing.
While the pandemic is not over, we are beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. With more Americans getting vaccinated every day, CDC has updated its guidance regarding facial coverings. Additionally, Governor Greg Abbott issued Executive Order GA 36 on May 18 prohibiting governmental entities in Texas – including institutions that receive state funding – from requiring or mandating any person to wear a facial covering. Failure to comply could result in fines up to $1000.
In response to CDC guidance and the Governor’s order:
- Facial coverings are no longer required at any Victoria College location. However, VC fully supports anyone who chooses to wear a facial covering due to personal preference.
- Temperature checks are no longer required to enter Victoria College facilities. By entering a VC facility, individuals are confirming they have no symptoms of COVID-19.
The following measures remain in place at Victoria College:
- Do not enter a VC facility if running fever or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. If sick, stay home and notify your instructor or supervisor.
- Self-reporting is required for any student or employee who is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, has tested positive for COVID-19, or who has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- When possible, social distancing should still be practiced in all VC facilities.
- Facial coverings are strongly encouraged when working in close proximity of others.
- Enhanced cleaning procedures have become a part of our normal operations and will continue.
- Hand-sanitizing stations are available in all VC buildings.
- Sneeze guards remain in key areas where students and members of the public interact with college personnel.
- Free COVID-19 testing remains available for VC students and employees.
As we move a little closer to a sense of normalcy, Victoria College will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation, coordinate with public health officials, and provide updates regarding any changes to our COVID-19 protocols at VictoriaCollege.edu/COVID-19.
Again, thank you for remaining vigilant in practicing the personal health measures that have brought us through this pandemic. With all of us doing our part, we will continue to maintain a learning and working environment in which everyone feels safe.
Dr. Jennifer Kent